Monday, June 2, 2008

Blah Blah Blog

As I enter the world of blogging from a first-hand perspective, I am finding the first post to be daunting. Shouldn't the inaugural words for a blog be something significant, something substantial? Or should I just comment on the chicken and couscous I'm eating for lunch? Maybe I shouldn't even be posting before I've created my "profile." Who knows? I guess there are few rules in blog-land which is what makes it so popular.

Admittedly, I'm still on the fence about blogging. As a professional writer I feel that I should write more. I have no problem writing fast and furiously when I'm on a project, but I have little motivation to write in a journal. I have stopped and started so many journals I've lost count. But I always feel like I should write more often on things not related to work. I'm not sure why -- after all, should surgeons perform at-home procedures? Do circus clowns need to drive undersized vehicles to and from work? Something about being a writer brings on a pressure to always write. And to always write well. But blogs. Well, blogs are a whole different kind of animal. They're fun, they're casual. No big deal. Heck, I don't even have to write anything... I can just put in a link to my favorite YouTube video. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

But why start a blog now? Well, maybe work will slow down in the summer, and I always find writing to be like exercise. If you get a good dose each day, it's a lot easier to keep going.

No comments: